Porcelain veneers are used to change the size, shape, and color of teeth. Some patients come in and they have mal-aligned teeth, but they have no interest in doing any form of orthodontics. We can line those teeth back up using porcelain veneers.
We have other patients that come in and they may have staining of their teeth. Maybe they had exposure to antibiotics when they were younger and it made their teeth a dark gray color. Maybe they have a lot of chipped teeth or broken teeth or maybe they've had patchwork dentistry done for many years and they're just embarrassed to smile. They just don't like the color of their teeth or the shape. That's where porcelain veneers come in. We always start with a blueprint.
When someone comes in we take pictures. We take models of their mouth. On the models of their mouth, based on the pictures and based on the contours of their mouth, we can do what is called a wax-up. What that means is we are going to make a blueprint of the final result on their model. We can show the patient the blueprint which is a preview of the final result. If they like that we can transfer that into their mouth and allow them to test drive the temporary veneer for a few weeks.
What this blueprint does is allows them to get a preview of the final result. If they're not happy with the ... Maybe that want a tooth a little bit longer, maybe a little shorter, maybe a little wider or a little narrower, we can change all of that before we go to the final veneers. I think that gives a lot of patients comfort in knowing that they have a say so in what they're final look is going to be.
Most of the time they're happy with the blueprint, because we base it on their proportions on what nature should be. Sometimes people have their own unique perspective on what they want their smile to look like. We will always strive to incorporate that into their treatment to make sure they are completely happy.
There are many cosmetic dentistry options available to help you improve the appearance of your smile. One of those options is veneers. Dr. Calvin Bessonet and his team at Ascension Premier Dental will answer any questions you may have regarding the veneer process. Call our dental office at 225.963.5548 to schedule your dental veneers Geismar and Prairieville, LA area appointment today.
What are veneers?
Veneers are thin coverings of material, usually porcelain, that are bonded to the front of your existing teeth to improve their appearance. Ascension Premier Dental offers both e.max veneer and porcelain veneers.
Porcelain veneers do a wonderful job of blending with your remaining teeth. The light reflects more naturally off of porcelain veneers, which enhances their natural look. In order to bond the veneer, we will first remove a thin layer of enamel to make room for your veneer to be placed.
Our e.max veneer are stain resistant. This type of dental veneers is stronger and also more thinly cut than standard porcelain veneers. This means that we’ll remove less natural enamel prior to the bonding process.
What do veneers do?
Veneers are used to fix problem areas on the surface of your teeth. Here are some examples of issues that veneers are a suitable solution for:
- Chipped or broken teeth – Veneers are able to mask a chip or crack on your tooth to make it look like nothing has happened.
- Tooth discoloration – Many times a veneer is used instead of teeth whitening if the discoloration is more than simple staining. Some types of discolorations are caused by a variety of factors that can’t be corrected another way. Talk with Dr. Bessonet to find out if veneers are the right option for you in this situation.
- Worn or short teeth – This happens to people from time to time. Over the course of your life, you may find that diet, teeth grinding, and other factors have worn your teeth down. This condition can be caused by genetics as well. Whatever your situation, veneer are an effective option that will allow you to get the full length of your teeth back.
- Uneven or misshapen teeth – This refers to teeth that have irregularities on their surfaces or with their shape. Bulges or craters on the tooth surface is an example of this type of irregularity.
- Gaps between teeth – Instead of braces or an alignment treatment, veneers can be used to close the gap between teeth that are spread too far apart.
What is the veneer process like?
The veneer process is like most dental procedures: It all starts with a consultation with Dr. Bessonet to determine if it is the right solution for your situation. If veneers are recommended for you, Dr. Bessonet will go over the procedure with you.
The veneer process will take at least two visits. During your initial visit, Dr. Bessonet will make an impression of your teeth that will be receiving veneers. That impression will then be sent out to a lab to have your custom dental veneers manufactured. Once your veneers return, another appointment will be scheduled to bond them to your teeth. This is the final step in the veneer process.
Your veneer will not require any type of special treatment. Brush, floss, and rinse with a dentist-recommended mouthwash just as you normally would. You will want to be careful with what you eat, however, as veneers could be damaged by certain hard foods.
Dr. Calvin Bessonet and his team at Ascension Premier Dental are looking forward to helping you achieve the smile you have always wanted with our dental veneers Geismar and Prairieville, LA. Call us today at 225-963-5548 to schedule an appointment. You can also leave us a message using our online contact form. We look forward to hearing from you.